St Joseph & the English Martyrs R C Church
St Joseph’s was founded at the initiative of the Redemptorist Fathers in 1900 in an area where there were only a few Catholics. They built the church to the designs of Doran Webb in 1906 and it was consecrated on June 19th of that year.
The Redemptorist fathers had purchased a large property near the middle of the town and the church was built on the site of the stables of the estate. In due course the Fathers greatly increased the size of their monastery and intensively cultivated its land. The Bishop’s Stortford monastery was one of the places from which fathers went all over the country preaching Missions in Parishes.
The Fathers sold the monastery and its land in 1990 and passed the Parish to the Diocese in 1994, since when the Diocese of Westminster has supplied the clergy.